Wheat So Sweet Pie
“Working in a grain terminal for Cargill, we decided that wheat needed to be the star of the recipe. It took us many attempts to get perfect pop wheat. Keeping in mind that after all, what really matters is the customers; we had the most severe judges… our kids! Finally, we found out that what we needed was: less transformation for more addiction!”
Jean-Francois Larouche & Alice Ehre, Cargill AgHorizons Canada
Region: North America
Cargill Ingredients: Frosted Flakes Cereal, Cargill Wilbur Tambora Milk Chocolate Wafers, Cargill Wilbur Bandelier Dark Chocolate Wafers, Wheat Kernels, Brown Sugar, Corn Syrup
3 cups frosted flakes cereal
½ cup melted butter
1 cup baking cream (whipping cream) 35% fat
5 ounces (150 grams) Cargill Wilbur Tambora milk chocolate wafers (or similar)
5 ounces (150 grams) Cargill Wilbur Bandelier dark chocolate wafers (or similar)
1 envelope Gelatin KNOX
¼ cup cold water
7 ounces (200 grams) wheat kernels
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter
¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Rinse the wheat kernels and let them soak in water overnight. (You can also boil them for an hour to get the same result quickly)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Preheat the deep fryer.
- Crush the frosted flakes cereal into small pieces.
- Mix the cereal and the melted butter together.
- Press lightly onto the bottom of a pie pan.
- Bake it for 10-15 minutes. Let it cool and set aside.
- In a glass bowl, mix both chocolate wafers. Set aside.
- Mix the cold water and gelatin. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan or in the microwave oven, bring the cream to a boil. Add the gelatin mixture, stir. Pour over the chocolate. Let stand for 1 minute, without stirring.
- With a whisk, stir until the ganache is smooth. Refrigerate for about 1 hour or until the ganache is spreadable but not too stiff. If necessary, melt for a few seconds in the microwave oven.
- Pour the ganache over the crust. Refrigerate.
- Dry the wheat kernels. They should have doubled in size. Fry them in the deep fryer until they pop. This should take 1-2 minutes. Absorb the excess oil. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, mix the brown sugar, the corn syrup and the butter. Bring to a boil. Quickly add the baking soda and the wheat kernels. Stir to coat the kernels with caramel.
- Lay on a baking pan. Cook them in the oven for about 5 minutes. Let it cool while stirring a little bit to avoid big pieces.
- Gently sprinkle over the pie.
View all recipes