Grand Prize Pork Chili
“Good tender pork is the key to this recipe. That is why the pork supplied by Cargill Pork to my local grocery store chain, Brookshire Brothers, is the key ingredient to making this and any pork recipe a success.”
Jason Weidemann, Cargill Feed & Nutrition
Region: North America
Category: Main Dish
Cargill Ingredients: Pork, Sausage, Olive Oil
2 pounds pork shoulder or roast, all fat removed and cut into bite size pieces
1 pound Jimmy Dean Original breakfast sausage
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 beef bouillon cube
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 (7.5 oz.) can chipotle salsa or 1 (7.5 oz.) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce drained using only the adobo sauce
3 tablespoons masa
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 ½ tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
View all recipes
- In a large heavy-bottomed stock pot, brown sausage and make sure to mash up into small bits. (Do not drain)
- In separate skillet, sear pork shoulder/roast in a little olive oil and lightly season meat with salt and pepper. Divide into 2 to 3 batches, making sure to not crowd the pan and to get a good sear on the meat. Once seared, transfer contents of skillet to pot with browned sausage.
- Once meat is combined, add onion and minced garlic. Cook until tender, being careful not to burn.
- Once onions and garlic are tender, add the smoked paprika, chipotle powder and masa and cook through. Then add the tomato sauce, chipotle salsa and enough water to cover the ingredients about ½ inch. Stir well. Once done, add the beef and chicken bouillon cubes and stir again.
- Simmer 90 minutes while checking regularly to make sure it does not get too thick, add more water if needed.
- After simmering, add the cumin, garlic powder, oregano, pepper, chili powder and tomato paste. Stir well and add water as needed.
- At this time check for salt and add to taste.
- Simmer another 30 minutes or until meat is tender.