“Sunflower’ is a unique dessert, which has a base of a traditional Georgian gozinaki confection, made of caramelized sunflower seeds, walnuts, dried apricots and cranberry, fried in honey, covered with chocolate, sesame or icing. It has a real taste of Cargill since sunflower itself is a symbol of Cargill's grain and oilseeds business in Ukraine. All ingredients are healthy, nutritious and non-GMO. Seeds and oil were sampled from our Cargill plant (Kakhovka, Ukraine). This delicious confection can be served as a dessert in different sizes and shapes or presented as a cereal.”
Yana Filonova, Cargill Grain & Oilseed Supply Chain Europe
Region: Europe, Middle East and Africa
Cargill Ingredients: Chocolate, Sunflower Oil, Egg, Sugar
1 cup (250 grams) peeled sunflower seeds
½ cup (100 grams) shelled walnuts
½ cup (100 grams) dried apricots
¼ cup (50 grams) dried cranberry
1 cup (250 grams) honey
4 ounces dark chocolate
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 cup (250 grams) powdered sugar
2 teaspoons 100% lemon juice
Poppy seeds and Sesame seeds (enough to fill middle of flower)
- Put walnuts in a hot pan and heat them on a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring them constantly, so they don’t get burned. Let them cool down, then peel and chop.
- Heat up sunflower seeds in the same pan for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, chop apricots and cranberries into size of seeds.
- Pour honey in a clean hot pan, heat on a low temperature, stirring continuously for 10 minutes until it becomes thick and viscous. (You may choose any honey you like. My choice is yellow acacia; it’s very liquid, transparent and has floral aroma and smooth taste. Plus it’s non-allergic.)
- Add nuts, seeds, cranberries and apricots into honey consistency, stir for 5 minutes on low temperature.
- Prepare a hoop from the foil. (Just take foil, fold it a few times and connect ends). Also, I used the folded foil to form 6 petals. The height of foil should be ¾ inch (2 cm). Place on a wooden board covered with parchment and fill in with honey mixture. After filling each form, slightly press the surface with a table spoon and let cool in fridge.
While our delicious dessert stays in the fridge, it’s time to cook some icing.
View all recipes
- Grate a carrot and put it in a pan with hot sunflower oil. Keep it low, do not let it burn. Add a sip of lemon juice. Stew for 5-7 minutes. You may pour in a little amount of water, in case it gets dry.
- Place the stewed carrot into a sieve, which covers a bowl, press with a spoon and extract the juice. This is how we receive our yellow food coloring. (For other colors you may use beet (pink), spinach (green), blueberry (blue), raspberry (red), but they go through similar procedures. Any food coloring has an extremely light and specific taste, but it’s not noticeable in a final variance.)
- Add an egg white to the powdered sugar and blend for 4-5 minutes until it becomes very thick.
- Add the rendered carrot juice to the blended sugar solution drop-by-drop to make it yellow. Mix with a spoon and fill a plastic bag with it. Leave it in the fridge.
- When the confection is thick, take it out of the foil forms and shape it up to a sunflower layout. Start covering the pellets with icing.
- Fill the center of the flower with grated chocolate, poppy and sesame seeds. Decorate the plate with leaves. Enjoy my ‘Sunflower Dessert’ and stay healthy!